I'm indebted to Guitarist Eduardo Fernandez for providing the basis of the House Rules for Guitar Ensemble...
- Everyone should play the same piece.
- Carefully tune your instrument before playing. Then you can play out of tune all night with a clear conscience.
- Slurs, dynamics and articulation markings are purely visual embellishments of the score - you do not need to concern yourself with them.
- The right note at the wrong time is a wrong note (and vice versa). But Rule 5 over-rides this.
- A wrong note played timidly is a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority is an interpretation.
- If everyone gets lost except you, follow those who get lost.
- If only you are lost, stop everyone and say, "I think we should tune."
- When everyone else has finished playing, you should not play any notes you have left.
- Use as many open strings as possible so that your left hand can manage the beer and sandwiches.
- A true interpretation is realised when there remains not one note of the original.