The Parish of Bedhampton - 1958 - Introduction
The COMMUNITY newspaper of July 1958 cost 3d - 1.25 pence.
It contained 6 pages in tabloid format and was professionally printed (read it to find out where!) on paper measuring 44.5cm by 29cm.
On the following pages you can read each of the 6 pages in a slightly reduced size.
I've tried to balance speed of download, clarity and ease of reading. If your monitor is 1024x768, you can read each page without scrolling sideways.
Let the story begin...
Step back in time to the days when
- Havant phone numbers had 3 digits - enjoy the adverts!
- St Nicholas's Hall was about to be started - page 6
- The Church was instrumental in the architecture of Leigh Park - front page
- Sundays had Communion, Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer and 2 extra Baptisms services a month
- There was an afternoon Children's service on the 2nd, 4th and 5th Sundays, and four different Sunday Schools at two different times.
- The Summer Show entry was 1/- (5p) - page 5
- The Cold War tension was mounting with the launch of Sputnik 1 and talk of H bombs - page 5
All that and a lot more in Community Issue 1 - prepare to be amazed!